Are you ready to spice up your Gudi Padwa celebrations? Look no further than puran poli, the delicacy of Maharashtrian That guarantees that you will definitely like it! but wait What if you want to enjoy this deliciousness without feeling guilty? Don’t worry, we have a healthy version that doesn’t skimp on flavor. Put on your apron and get ready to learn how to make Puranpoli for Kudi Padva. Both traditional and healthy!
Try this healthy version of puran poli at Gudi Padwa.
Puran poli is a traditional Maharashtra dish often served during festivals and special occasions such as Gudi Padwa. This sweet flatbread is made by adding jaggery and chanadal (Bengal gram) that Cooked between two layers of wheat flour. Then flatten it into a round sheet. Whereas the original recipe calls for ghee and refined sugar. But a healthy recipe can be made using healthy ingredients without sacrificing flavor.
How to make puran poli?
Here is a step-by-step recipe for making puran poli for Gudi Padwa and its healthy version:
Ingredients for puran poli:
For the dough:
* 1 cup whole wheat flour
* 1/4 teaspoon of salt
* 1 tablespoon of oil
* Water as needed
For filling out:
* 1 cup chana dal (Bengal gram)
* 1 cup grated jaggery
*1/4 tsp cardamom powder
* 1 tbsp ghee
1. Wash Chandal thoroughly and soak in water for 3-4 hours.
2. Drain and cook the chanadal with 2 cups of water for 3-4 hours or until soft and cooked.
3. Strain off the excess water and puree the cooked chanadal using a potato masher or food processor until smooth.
4. Add grated jaggery and cardamom powder to the mashed chana dal and mix well.
5. Heat a pan and add the ghee. Add the chana dal mixture and jaggery to the pan and cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens and clumps.
6. Let the mixture cool to room temperature before making puran poli.
7. Make the dough by mixing the whole wheat flour, salt and oil in a bowl.
8. Add water little by little and knead the dough until smooth and elastic.
9. Divide the dough into small portions and roll into small balls.
10. Take a piece of dough and roll it into a small circle. Place the chana dal and jaggery mixture in the center. It’s like you would make a stuffed paratha.
11. Bring the edge of the dough to cover the stuffing and gently roll into a circle.
12. Heat the tawa and cook the puran poli on both sides until golden brown.
13. Serve hot with ghee.
For a healthy version of puran poli You can use the following substitutes:
*Whole wheat flour can be replaced by mixing whole wheat flour with jovar (sorghum) flour or bajara flour. (pearl millet) to increase nutritional value
*can replace jaggery with coconut sugar It’s a healthier alternative to refined sugar.
*Ghee can be replaced with coconut oil or olive oil to make it vegan.
Read Also: For More Maharashtra Recipes
By following this recipe and using healthy substitutes. You can enjoy traditional puran poli during Gudi Padwa without compromising taste and nutritional value. Happy Cooking and Happy Gudi Padwa!
Leave a Comment