Being overweight or obese has many negative effects on overall health. The World Heart Federation (WHF) reports that 2.3 billion children and adults worldwide are believed to be overweight or obese. Serious if left untreated. Did you know that obesity and hair loss are strongly linked?
Health Shots reached out to Dr. Monica Chahar, Chief Dermatologist and Director of Skin Decor, Dwarka, Delhi, who shared that obese and overweight women often suffer from hair health issues such as hair loss. Read on to understand the connection. Link between obesity and hair loss
Can obesity cause hair loss?
It is commonly known that obesity is linked to an increased risk of various diseases. Obese people are more likely to develop heart disease, diabetes and other health problems. How can the body deteriorate and lose its function?
Recently, researchers at Tokyo Medical and Dental University (TMDU) investigated the effects of genetically induced obesity and a high-fat diet on hair thinning and loss using model experiments. of mice From the research results, it was found that Obesity can cause hair follicle loss by inducing specific inflammatory signals that deplete hair follicle stem cells (HFSCs), hindering hair follicle regeneration. and ultimately results in hair follicle loss
Experts talk about the link between obesity and hair loss.
Being obese can take a toll on the health of your hair and lead to problems. “Excess belly fat can lead to hormonal imbalances,” says Dr. Chahar. In particular, increasing the production of androgens such as dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Elevated levels of DHT can shrink pores. causing thinning hair and eventually hair loss.”
She further explained that obese or overweight women develop insulin resistance. This can result in polycystic ovary syndrome. It is one of the most common reproductive problems among young women. PCOS can also be a factor in hair loss. This is because the condition is linked to higher than normal testosterone levels. which affects hair growth
How to control hair loss?
Here are the 5 most important tips to keep in mind to control hair fall:
1. Maintain a balanced diet: A healthy diet plays an important role in hair health. Choose to eat foods that are rich in nutrients such as fruits, vegetables, lean protein. and whole grains Include foods rich in vitamins A, C and E, as well as biotin, protein, zinc and iron, which support hair growth and follicle health.
2. Manage stress: Chronic stress can increase hair loss. Make sure to include stress relief techniques such as meditation, yoga, or deep breathing. into your daily schedule.
3. Lose weight: If your hair loss is due to being overweight or obese You have to lose weight to manage it. Exercising regularly not only helps with weight control. but also improves blood flow which is important in delivering nutrients to the hair follicles Exercise regularly for at least 30 minutes and you will see the difference.
4. Avoid harsh hair care: Excessive heat styling hairstyle that is too tight And harsh chemicals can damage the hair shaft and cause hair loss. So avoid making these mistakes.
5. Head Massage: One of the best strategies for stopping hair loss is regular head massages. because it was found to increase blood circulation In addition to promoting hair growth. It also maintains the health of your hair and helps you cope with stress. which is an important factor in hair loss
Seek professional help if nothing works!
If the hair loss persists or gets worse Consultation with a medical professional or dermatologist is necessary. They can assess your specific situation. identify the root cause and recommend appropriate treatments or interventions such as medications, topical solutions, or therapies such as platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections, he said. Dr. Chahar
Leave a Comment